Friday, January 7, 2011

Audio Books and Marketing

I just recently started listening to audiobooks because they get me through the boring chores, and driving back and forth to school.  The last one I've been listening too is In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms CD.  It has been enlightening to say the least.  Some of it I believe and other parts just aren't for me.

The other audio book is called Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs (New Rules Social Media Series)) about marketing your brand on the web.  I have never been very good with the marketing side of things.  I have worked on my photography, verbiage, and even my technical skills so this is the last thing that I really need to work on (besides a website). However, the bane of the small business is that I have to learn to do everything.  It takes away from my creative time but if I can't sell what I make then my business won't grow.  I can only make so many necklaces, bracelets, and earrings for myself and family. 

The one thing the book got me thinking about is how I don't really specialize in anything.  I suspect to get repeat customers I need to pick one unique thing about my business and promote it.  This is hard for me since I am sure I have crafting ADD.  I have been making jewelry going on nine years and I still move from one project to the next without a central focus. 

I have pretty much decided to aim most of my businesses at moms, babies, and children.  It encompasses a huge variety of jewelry.  Plus I can always work on the other stuff when I get time.  It works for me because I still get to work with a variety of materials but the focus will be on family.

That should be easy since my focus right now is my family.  So, next I will be making a plan on how to do that.  It isn't as fun as making jewelry but the rewards will be great.  I wish it came natural but I'm thankful there are easy references.  I wonder how everyone else markets their business online?

No comments: